What is the Doncaster Safeguarding Children Board?
The Children Act 2004 requires each local authority to establish a Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB). The core objectives of the LSCB are to:
- To coordinate what is done by each person or body represented on the Board for the purposes of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in the area; and
- To ensure the effectiveness of what is done by each such person or body for those purposes
The DSCB has a statutory duty to assure itself of what is being done by all partners in Doncaster to safeguard children. It does this by:
- Seeking relevant performance information from each LSCB agency and where necessary challenging and identifying areas for development
- Undertaking and coordinating activity aimed at identifying the quality of front-line practice
- Seeking assurance and driving the actions from the L&I Framework have been carried out
- Satisfying itself that actions from nationals inquiries have been taken forward
- Satisfying itself that actions have been put in place to meet requirements of changes in guidance and legislation to safeguard children
- Challenging partners to provide assurances where issues have arisen which would give rise for concern regarding safeguarding children
- Developing and agreeing the Boards strategic priorities
- Bringing information to the Board which demonstrate how their individual agency is meeting its safeguarding responsibilities
- Ensuring that information and actions agreed by the Board are cascaded throughout their organisation
- Developing policies and procedure for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
- Communicating to persons and bodies the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, raising their awareness of how this can best be done and encouraging them to do so.
- Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of what is done by the authority and partners individually and collectively to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and advising them on ways to improve.
- Participating in the planning of services for children.
- Undertaking Serious Case Reviews and advising partners on lessons to be learned.
LSCBs do not commission or deliver direct front line services though they may provide training. While LSCBs do not have the power to direct other organisations they do have a role in making clear where improvement is needed. Each Board partner retains its own existing line of accountability for safeguarding.
For further information on LSCBs and any relevant documents such as the Annual Reports, Business Plan please see the downloads and resources. The Board is also supported by sub groups, further details of these groups can be found by visiting sub group page.
- Business Plan on a Page 2017-18
- Download (212KB - PDF)
- Working Together 2015 - Chapter 3-5
- Download (1.34MB - PDF)
- Childrens Act 2004 - Chapter 13-16
- Download (120KB - PDF)
- LSCB Regulations 2006
- Download (46KB - PDF)
- DSCB Support Team Contact Details
- Download (154KB - DOC)
- DSCB Subgroup Structure 2016
- Download (86KB - DOCX)
- DSCB Partner Agencies
- Download (262KB - DOCX)
- Constitution v6 June 2015
- Download (1MB - PDF)
- DSCB Annual Report 2015 - 2016
- Download (4.09MB - PDF)
- DSCB Annual Report 2014 - 2015
- Download (1.72MB - PDF)
- DSCB Annual Report 2013 - 2014
- Download (1.87MB - PDF)